Icebreaker: Pick something out of your purse or pocket and tell why it is important to you.
- What are some things you know or have heard about the Holy Spirit?
- Read Acts 1:4-8, John 14:15-18. What are some words used to describe the Holy Spirit and his purpose?
- In Acts 1:8, what is the result of the Holy Spirit’s providing us power? Do you think Christianity could have survived without the Holy Spirit?
- Read 1 John 4:2-3. In this time of “spiritual discussions” how do these verses help you discern truth from false claims?
‘NOTE: You can discuss these ideas of “spiritual people” in comparison to the John verses in detail if you wish:
- “spiritual but not religious”
- The spiritual but not religious hold much looser ideas about God, spiritual practices and religion.
- 53% Organized Religion is harmful/Dangerous
- 72% All religions are the same
- 93 percent haven’t been to a religious service in the past six months.
- Spending time in nature
HOLY SPIRIT’S PURPOSE AND WORK
- Read the verses listed below and discuss each of the things the Holy Spirit does in the life of a christian.
- He regenerates- New Believer Titus 3:4-7
- He indwells- Lives in you 1 for 6:19
- Seals you- Ephesians 1:13-14
- Adopts you- 2 Timothy 2:19-21
- Fills You- Acts 2:4
- Author of Scripture- 2 Timothy 3:16
- Interprets Scripture- 1 Corinthians 2:9-14
- Guides the believer Galatia’s 5:16
- Anoints – 1 John 2:27
- Sanctifies- 1 Peter 1:23
- Provides Fruit- Fruit of the Spirit Galatians 5:22-25
- Empowers- Ability to do what God calls us to do- Matt 3:11
- Read Galatians 5:17. We live in a society that believes what I think is ok for me should be acceptable. How does the Holy Spirit affect our thinking that this is acceptable for us?
Application – Read 2 Corinthians 13:14 7. What is one way this week you can increase your fellowship with the Holy Spirit?
As always, feel free to make this study your own. These questions are only discussion starters to help you get the conversation going.