Part of Something Greater: Find Community
Discussion Questions: Find Community – Get the Egypt out of the people!
Icebreaker: What is your favorite drive-through restaurant during COVID and why?
- Tim started talking about Matt 28:18-20 – Read/recite. What did Tim say the definition of a disciple was? A person whose life changes to look like the one they follow.
- Who should be the one they are following? Why is it important that they are following Jesus and not their earthly teacher?
- This month we are going to look at how God wants us all to be a part of something greater. The 4 concepts are found in Exodus 6:6-7. Read Ex 6:6-7. What were the 4 promises of God for the Israelites? Hint: Bring out of slavery, free you from slaves to them, redeem you, take you as my own.
- What were the 3 examples Tim gave us of the Israelites wanting to go back to being slaves? (Red Sea, Water, Enter promised land).
- What are examples of Christians today despairing and desiring to go back to the “old way”? Why do you think it is so easy to want to go back to their/our previous situation?
- Read Numbers 13:27-33. With all the miracles God had done for the Israelites to this point, what were they focused on as they evaluated the promised land?
- What was Caleb focused on?
- Read Numbers 14:1-4. What do you think the people were saying in these verses? How did the size of their God and the size of their problem compare?
- Read 1 Cor 15:33, James 5:16, and 1 John 3:9. Caleb and Joshua got to enter the Promised Land, all the others died in the wilderness along with the people who lacked the faith to go in, which was all the adults. What do these verses say we can do to support and encourage each other?
Application: Becoming a Christian is a one-time event. Becoming a disciple of Christ is not a one-time thing. It takes daily decisions to follow Jesus’s teachings. It takes dedication to read the Bible and learn more of who God is and how much he loves us. This will get us out of our personal “Egyptian Slave” thinking. But it takes other christians supporting us to make wise decisions as we grow.
What can your small group do to help you grow as a disciple of Christ? OR – How can you encourage or help one person in the next week get to know God better?