Part of Something Greater – Live the Mission
Icebreaker: What is your idea of a perfect job? And why? OR If you could job-shadow one person for a day, who would it be? And why?
Review – read Exodus 6:6-7
- What are the 4 promises?
- How does this fit into New Life’s purpose/goals?
- What does it mean to you to Live the Mission?
- Read: Genesis 1:28 and Genesis 9:1. What was God’s command to all people?
- Read Genesis 11: 1-4 5. What was the response of the people?
- Why do you think they were building upward?
- Read Genesis 11:5-10 7. What did God say about man?
- How have you seen that in today’s world? (More common languages, better communication and travel, etc. – more scientific knowledge and invention)
- What did God do to encourage the scattering of people in Genesis? SUMMATION – GOD TOLD US TO SCATTER, BUT WE SEEK SECURITY AND COMFORT.
- Let’s look at what Jesus says. Read Matt 9:35. What example did Jesus give us in seeking the lost?
- Read Matthew 28:18-20. What is Jesus’ command to his disciples in Matthew? (Go, make disciples, baptize, teach what Jesus taught)
- What is Jesus’ promise?
- Read: Matthew 16:13-20. What was the rock on which the church would be built? Review: Peter – Petros: Pebble Rock – Petra: Boulder Church – Ecclesia: Group of people selected by the king to go into the kingdom and spread the ideas of the king to the people or simply “To spread the King’s message to the world”
- In today’s society, how is the “big church” losing some of this foundation?
- How does this impact the mission of the church in today’s society? NLC: Embracing each person with the life-changing grace and truth of Jesus.
- How do you see the NLC mission relating to these verses in Matthew – both chapters 16 and 28?
- In this COVID era, it can be difficult to reach out to people in the typical fashion. What are come creative ways you can connect with people to live out the great commission of Matthew 28:18-20 with others?
As always, feel free to make this study your own. These questions are only discussion starters to help you get the conversation going.