Stones: The Weight We Carry – The Weight of Your Future
Icebreaker: What animal/insect/clown/thing are you afraid of?
- Tim said that the Bible says “fear not” 365 times. Why do you think that God tells us this so much?
- Do you believe this statement: In order to fear something, you have to believe it?
Why FEAR OF THE FUTURE?
- Read Matt 21:8-11, Zechaiah 9:9. Why were the crowds so excited to see Jesus riding a donkey entering the city? (political salvation)
- Read Matt 21:12-16. What things did Jesus do after he entered Jerusalem?
- What was the reaction of the chief priests and teachers?
- How does this compare to the children and infants reaction to Jesus?
- Why do you think there was such a difference in the two reactions?
FEAR OF GOD
- Read 2 Chronicles 26:5, Matthew 6:31, Proverbs 8:13, 1 Peter 1:17. What do these verses tell you about the fear of the Lord?
- How would you define the word “fear” as used in these verses?
- Do you think the church in America has an appropriate fear of God?
- Do these verses make you want to run to God, or run away from God and why?
- Read Psalm 25:14, Proverbs 8:13. What are some benefits of having the correct fear of the Lord?
- Does the church in the world love what God loves and hate what He hates?
- Read Ecclesiastes 12:13-14. After all that Solomon had experienced in his life, how did he sum up everything?
- What is the difference between keeping his commandments as Solomon mentioned and legalism?
Application – What can you do in the next week to gain a better understanding of who God is and what He wants for us as Christians?
As always, feel free to make this study your own. These questions are only discussion starters to help you get the conversation going.